The Queer Spirit Podcast
Reframing Activism & Self-care
with Dean Spade
Hear more episodes
- Dean shares how he first came to studying law through witnessing law enforcement from the perspective of queer activism in NYC.
- He then started teaching law as a way to create change from the foundation of the legal world.
- We discuss his forthcoming book, “It’s Not You, It’s Everybody,” which is a self help book for people who want to change the world. It looks at the way that capitalism and hetero-patriarchy contribute to stress, and how we can bring communal healing to activist individuals and groups.
- We explore the difference between self-help, self-care and expanding those practices to groups and communities.
- Dean talks about being conscious of your autopilot behaviors, and how they are supportive and detrimental to your wellbeing.
- He shares new and radical ideas about self-care, challenging the capitalist and escapist ideas of self-care.
- Dean asks, How do we cultivate an economy of care? How can you be well while being of service?
- We talk about the different kinds of self-care which might not be what most think of.
Join the Queer Spirit Community Facebook group to continue the conversation and stay up to date on new episodes.
Join our mailing list to get news and podcast updates sent directly to you.