The Queer Spirit Podcast
Enlivening Queer Community & Culture
with Justin Sayre
Listen & Subscribe on your favorite platform: iTunes | Spotify | Stitcher | Google Play
Hear more episodes
Justin Sayre, praised for their “deeply passionate soul and acerbic wit” by The New York Times, is a writer and performer who Michael Musto called, “Oscar Wilde meets Whoopi Goldberg.” They were hailed as one the “Funniest People in Brooklyn” by Brooklyn Magazine and among “LA’s 16 Most Talented LGBT Comics” by Frontiers Magazine. Sayre’s most recent book, Mean, the third in their trilogy of young adult novels from Penguin Books, was released in 2019. Sayre’s works for the theatre has been seen at LaMaMa, The Wild Project, Ars Nova, and more. Sayre’s Ravenswood Manor was recently produced at LA’s Celebration Theater and hailed as “a sharply written and well-acted exemplar of the horror-comedy genre” by The Los Angeles Times. Sayre also writes for television, working with Michael Patrick King on his hit CBS comedy “2 Broke Girls” and for Fox’s “The Cool Kids.” Sayre also appeared on HBO’s “The Comeback” with Lisa Kudrow.
- Justin shares how they started “The Meeting” after redirecting her acting career and coming up with a variety show she created on retreat with the Radical Faeries.
- The Meeting took a hiatus when Justin moved to LA but is now coming back [online, for the time being.]
- We discuss how The Meeting was created as a way of cultivating community, sharing successes and challenges in the queer communities.
- Justin shares their flair for mixing humor with darkness, while holding the audience with radical compassion.
- They tell the story of lending her platform to support a Black Lives Matter performance when a show was cancelled, and how communities of difference need to support each other.
- Justin talks about their forthcoming book, “The Gay-B-C’s,” a dictionary of queer culture, and what inspired its creation.
- You can also find Justin on Instagram, Twitter & FaceBook
Grab your FREE Guide – Needs, Boundaries & Self-Care for Queer Folks. Download it here.
Join the Queer Spirit Community Facebook group to continue the conversation and stay up to date on new episodes.
Join our mailing list to get news and podcast updates sent directly to you.