The Queer Spirit Podcast
Season 2, Episode 1:
Queers with Cancer – Part 1
with Nick Venegoni
Hear more episodes
Nick Venegoni is the host the Queer Spirit podcast. A few months into beginning the podcast, in July of 2018, he discovered that he had stage one testicular cancer. With the support of doctors and nurses, integrative practitioners, family and friends, he made it through surgery and nine weeks of chemo therapy.
In part one of this topic, to kick off the second season the podcast, he shares the story of his journey from diagnosis to completing chemotherapy.
“It feels important to me to tell this story because I don’t really hear these stories being told, especially in a queer context. I hope it will help others to understand what it’s like to go through cancer, and others to feel less alone in their own healing journeys.”
- Nick tells about the discovery of his tumor and the speed at which he went into surgery.
- He shares about the different complimentary and integrative therapies he employed to support him through surgery and chemo, including herbs, homeopathy, flower essences, acupuncture, guided visualization and more.
- Nick discusses the challenge of dealing with the multitude of side effects from the chemo and how he managed that.
- He talks about the importance of self care and asking for help from others during recovery.
- In part 2, on the next episode, Nick will compare and contrast his stories with a friend who went through colon cancer last year.
Join the Queer Spirit Community Facebook group to continue the conversation and stay up to date on new episodes.